Friday, October 1, 2010

My Birth Plan!

Joanna's “if everything goes right” Birth Plan

LABOR

I’d would like my husband Joshua and my mother, Brenda to be in the birth room during labor and delivery. I would like to bring my own music and wear my own clothing during labor and delivery. I would like to eat and drink during labor if I wish to.


Once I'm admitted, I'd like Joshua to be allowed to stay with me at all times. I’d prefer to only have the midwife, nurse, and guests present in the birthing room. Please no medical students, or other hospital personnel. I would prefer not to have an IV; I’d like to drink to stay hydrated. I want to walk and move around during labor.

As long as the baby and I are doing fine, I'd like to have intermittent rather than continuous electronic fetal monitoring. I would like to be allowed to progress naturally, free of stringent time limits.

If they're available, I'd like to use a birthing ball, birthing stool, a squatting bar and definitely the tub.

DELIVERY


I would like to wait until I am ten centimeters before starting to push. When it's time to push, I'd like to be coached on when to push and for how long.

During pushing I’d like to be able to try whatever position feels right at the time. As long as my baby and I are doing fine, I'd like the pushing stage to be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits.


PAIN RELIEF

I'd like to try the following pain-management techniques, bath/shower,
hot/cold therapy, massage, please don't offer me an epidural, I'll request it if I need it.

VAGINAL BIRTH

I do not want to view the birth using a mirror. I would like to risk a tear rather than have an episiotomy. I do not want to use forceps or the vacuum. If one is needed I would like the opportunity to rest and try pushing again. If help is still needed I want a vacuum used not forceps? I would rather have an emergency C-section then use forceps.


After birth, I would like the baby placed directly on my stomach, though I would like any blood gentle wiped off of her along with her nose and mouth suctioned to make sure she is breathing. I want to wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before it's clamped and cut. My husband, Joshua, would like to cut the umbilical cord. I don’t want to get routine oxytocin (Pitocin) after I deliver the placenta unless necessary. I would like to breastfeed as soon as possible. After delivery, I would like a half an hour to an hour of alone time with myself, Joshua and the baby, putting off any procedures that aren't urgent. During this time I would like my mother to tell anyone in the waiting room how baby and I are doing.

C-SECTION

If a c-section is absolutely necessary I would like my husband present at all times during the operation, including during the epidural. I do not want the screen lowered a bit so I can see my baby coming out. I would like the baby given to my partner as soon as she's dried (as long as she's in good health). I would like to breastfeed my baby as soon as possible. I do not want my baby to be given a bottle.

POSTPARTUM

After delivery, I'd like all newborn procedures to take place in my presence. I want my partner to stay with the baby at all times if I can't be there. I would prefer to stay in a private room, though I understand that may not be possible. I plan to breastfeed exclusively. Please don't offer anything to my baby at any point unless I request something.

I only want immediate family at the hospital after Bliss is born. Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles, and friends can come see her as soon as we bring her home.

1 comment: